Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Taking care of business...

Three years.  That's how long ago I changed all our homes fixtures (door knobs, hinges, etc.) from bossy brass to serene satin nickel.  Don't you feel like the color brass is shouting at you, "Hey, look at me??!"  So as I replaced the last door knob on the closet door of the master bedroom, I threw myself back on our bed and...proceeded to have the light fixture shout at me. In a rather obnoxious tone, "na-na-na-na-na-na".

Shit.

I walked around to all three bedrooms and there they were, Brass Light Fixtures.  Sneaky like brasstards.  And I vowed to fix them...tomorrow.  'cause damn it, I was tired. 

That was three years ago.  Last night I researched how to repaint my kitchen cabinets, because that, my friends, is happening.  But as I was making my notes and sketches, I heard this little voice in my head (sounding mysteriously like my husband's) reminding me of all the half-finished projects I have yet to do.  You see, my name is Annie and I am a half-asser. As in I don't finish all my projects. As in I'm addicted to starting new things.  As in, I find inspiration, I run with it, I am in clear view of the finish line...and I swerve to the left to follow that little side-trail that suddenly caught my attention.  My husband thinks I have adult ADD, but I think I'm addicted to feeling inspired.  Makes me sound more artsy & mysterious, you know?

So, making my husband happy really is at the top of my priorities, so I dutifully wrote out my list:

I vow to finish these projects before beginning on a new one. 

I don't know about you, but when I'm crossing things off my list, I go easiest first.  Light fixtures it was.  Except, I used the last of my satin nickel plate on..something.  Can't remember what, but I assure you it was really important (and hopefully finished). (And I know it wasn't the bathroom fixtures because something in me told me that no matter what Pinterest said was possible, painting my bathroom fixtures with spray paint really wasn't in my best interest.)

At any rate, I was out of Satin Nickel spraypaint, but I had leftover oil-rubbed-bronzed, which would probably look better anyway. Here's what I needed:



 If you're looking for a tutorial, there really isn't much to say. As it turned out, my light globes were in dire need of cleaning, so I removed them and let them soak over in the bathroom. I loosened the two screws attaching the fixture to the ceiling just enough so that I could slip a sheet of paper underneath.  I protected my ceiling with some of that paper that Amazon packs generously in it's packages, and some left over painters tape.  Then I lightly gave each fixture 3 coats of paint, allowing about 20 minutes of drying time between each.



 Since these aren't items that will be handled/touched, I was okay with not allowing a ton of time for drying between coats. Lesson learned, make sure your paper is secure. In the second after picture, you can see I got a bit of spraypaint on the ceiling.  A bit of rubbing alcohol on a rag took this right off, (whew!).  So, here are the before and afters:


 
                                                                                     



    
What do you think?  Am I weird for getting caught up on all these little details? I don't know about you, but I feel like we purchased a house and these little details are what continues to make it feel like our home.  What's the little detail that bothers you in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment