Monday, February 4, 2013

Organize your headbands in under 30 minutes.

The bathroom closet makeover really was the project that keeps on giving.  For the most part, it has stayed organized, making that one less area of our home that requires constant attention. The one exception has been the headbands that seem to accumulate in the closet and just create a chaotic, unsightly mess.  I put a basket in there as a 'catchall' to help keep them contained, but it was really ugly to open up the closet and look down to see that mess. 




Some time ago I saw a post that used old oatmeal containers that were decorated and you could then wrap headbands around them, but this really didn't serve my purposes for two reasons.  One, we get our oatmeal from Costco, so we don't end up with any of those nifty containers.  And two, I really wanted to get these headbands up off the closet 'ledge' and suspended in some fashion.  I brainstormed a bit, thinking about items that I might have lying around the house that were the same general size as the oatmeal containers and kept coming up with really large pvc pipe, but that just didn't appeal to me.  A few days later, while cleaning the bathroom mirror, the paper towel roll in my hand solved my dilemna. Grabbing two brand new rolls of paper towels, I ventured into my craft room to see what type of leftover material I had available to cover these babies up. Bingo! As luck would have it, I had great spare material (which inspired me to do another project I've been thinking about--more on that later), so I gathered my materials:


I eyeballed the material and ribbon for this, so I don't have any measurements for you...Here was my general method:

1. glue edge of material onto paper towel roll, wrap material around the paper towels tootsie roll style, and glue edge to finish.
2. using a long ruler or something similar, push ribbon through the cardboard tube.
3. push loose ends of material into the ends of the cardboard tube.
4. tie off ribbon.
5. hang
6. place headbands on holder.

I needed two rolls for my closet and used a over the door hook to hang my rolls. Here's the finished project:





Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out and THRILLED that it took less than 30 minutes of my time!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment