Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dills to Dimes

We all have them...containers that hold our spare change.  While it's intention is to supplement our vacation stash, I admit that I occasionally remove quarters for washing and vacuuming my car. 

So, our change jar has sat in our living room for the past 7 years looking like this:


I know, I know....embarassing.  I admit that I normally hide it in a corner when company is expected.  So Friday night I decided I'd had enough of my dill pickle jar and began by removing the label.  After poking around on Pinterest, decided that plain old vinegar was my best option for removing the label.  1/2 cup of vinegar, an old washcloth, and 15 minutes later, I had this:
















Vinegar is so magic!   Using my hot glue gun and my trusty ball of twine, I covered the lid with twine:




Then my creative side took over and I began making designs on the the change jar.  Here you can see it.  The second picture I have a piece of paper inside so that you can see my "Spare Change" wording...




Finally, I spray-painted the jar with a flat antique white paint:


No comments:

Post a Comment