Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eating More of Whole Foods...

So one of my new goals in our home is to eat more naturally. Nothing faddish or extreme. I just want to know exactly what is going in our mouths and bodies. Maybe I just spend too many late nights reading articles and forum posts, but it's becoming really important to me that we move towards eating a more plant-based diet in conjunction with consuming foods which are as close to their natural state as possible. Did you know that the acids in our stomach which break down consumed meat are 1/20th of those of a carnivore?





At any rate, in light of my current goal I tried out a new recipe this afternoon, using my trusty immersion blender, which I purchased off Amazon. I washed, cored, sliced, and rough-chopped four nice-sized apples, threw them in my smallest crockpot, squeezed about a half a lemon's worth of juice over top, gave a quick stir, and then set them on low for 4 hours. When they were nice and soft, I threw my blender in the container (love not dirtying another dish!) and blended them thoroughly...skins and all! The skins have virtually disappeared and I feel great with my homemade applesauce. It has the vitamins contained in the skin (which my kids never eat) since I didn't peel the apples and there is absolutely no added sugar. I separated it into individual serving containers and cooled them in the fridge. We had some for lunch today and I must declare this one a success!!


No comments:

Post a Comment